Rating: 3.5/5
I read The Great Gatsby,
written by F. Scott Fitzgerald, for the first time only a couple of months ago
and I LOVED it.
Beautifully written with an
array of exciting characters and brilliant visionaries it is one of the most
romantic stories to be told. It’s no wonder I read it all in one sitting
(although I must add it is only a short novel).
So the question here I
guess is did I also enjoy the film? And that answer would be: yes (not only
because Leonardo DiCaprio plays Gatsby).
Before I talk about why
it’s lovable, and also why it’s received some criticism, I’ll briefly tell you
what it’s all about!
Set in the 1920’s in New
York and told through alcohol-hazed eyes of Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) it is
the story of one Mr Gatsby, Nick’s new next-door neighbour.
Nick soon learns that
Gatsby’s move was all a plan to be closer to Daisy (Carey Mulligan), whom is
married to the unfaithful Tom (Joel Edgerton).
The mystery of the great Mr
Gatsby unfolds. Why does he want to be close to Daisy? Where did this
mysterious man make his fortunes? Where did he come from?
It is a story of love, loss,
tragedy and lies.
A great story with a great
deal of cinema potential; potential that director Baz Luhrmann definitely made
the most of. However Luhrmann has been criticised for doing so. Reviews have
been flooded with phrases such as “over-directed” and “too-stylised”.
Admittedly the style does
take a little getting used to, with some rather strenuous transitions, but when
you do adjust you’ll certainly appreciate the beautiful cinematography.
The over-the-top
visionaries are very similar to Moulin Rouge that not shockingly was directed
by Luhrmann too.
I must admit I’m in two
minds about just how similar this film is to the book.
On one hand screenplay
writers Luhrmann and Craig Pearce were most certainly respectable and true to
the original, careful to not takeaway from the essence of the story. And as
fore-mentioned the book is brilliant, so nothing needs to be adjusted.
On the other hand I can’t
help but feeling it was a little too safe and that something new and unique (if
done correctly) could have made the 2013 version of Gatsby more memorable.
Without a shadow of a doubt
the best aspect of this film for me were the characters. The casting was
flawless. The acting was fabulous. The love interests were incredibly
believable. They made the film.
Another magnificent area of
this film was the set and costume design. Just wow! Again these had a very Moulin
Rouge feel.
Fun fact: 500 Brookes Brothers suits were custom made for this film
(just an insight in to the scale of marvelousness that is the outfits in this
film).
I’m sure I’m not alone in saying I want to own every, single dress Carey
Mulligan wears!
If you love book, you’ll
love the film. If you love great cinematography, you’ll love the film. If you
love Moulin Rouge, you’ll love the film.
If I were you I’d ignore
the critics and go and see this film anyway.
P.s. Maybe Leonardo DiCaprio will finally win an Oscar?
No comments:
Post a Comment