Warm Bodies: 3.5/5
Based on a book
written by Isaac Marion ‘Warm Bodies’ is another great post-apocalyptic tale –
with a twist. The twist being it follows the gruesomely romantic story of two
unexpected beings falling in love, a human and a Zombie.
Just how much I
liked this film came as a big surprise to me. I had it in my head that it would
be a bit too much like ‘Twilight’, a film I’ve never really had a soft spot
for, fortunately however director Jonathon Levine assured this was not the
case.
Having said that
the leading lady Julie (Teresa Palmer) does spend a lot of the time getting
saved similarly to Twilight’s Bella (K-Stew) and also looks strangely a lot
like her… The big and winning difference between the two is the fact Warm
Bodies doesn’t ‘twi too hard’ and the comedy aspect of it puts it in a
completely different genre.
Nick Hoult, or
endearingly named ‘R’, plays a charming and comical Zombie. His grunts, groans and
blood-covered lips effortlessly win the laughs of the audience and the hearts
of the girls. Former ‘Skins’ star without a doubt made the film that much more
enjoyable.
‘R’ and Julie’s
relationship is also somewhat believable, under the un-dead circumstances,
contributing to making the film a sweet romance appropriately released around
Valentine’s Day.
Having said that it
is by no means a ‘girls film’. Sure there are some lovey-dovey moments within
the film but for the majority it is the humour, action and horror that shines
through.
Horror-wise there
were some moments I had to cover my eyes and felt fear seep through me, and I’m
no amateur when it comes to scary and gory films. There are some monsters
called ‘The Bonies’ that just look and are disturbing.
It was the comedy
element that I most enjoyed in the film. There were more than a few ‘laugh out
loud’ moments. I spent a good 70% of the film giggling. R’s relatable
awkwardness when it came to Julie and his Zombie best friend actor Rob Corrdry
were the two most hilarious factors. There are definitely a few memorable
one-liners brilliantly placed in this film.
This film has
entered my top five Zombie flicks as well as being one the most entertaining
and unique love stories to be told for a long while. Perfect to watch with your
boyfriend, girlfriend or best friend.
Hahah awesome review
ReplyDeleteOMG Roxy, love your blog. We should meet up some time, to discuss our views on movies. Can't wait for your next review. Love, 0oMovieLover95o0
ReplyDeleteNo Roxy dont meet people from the internet. Dangerous!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry, I'm nice! :D 0oMovieLover95o0
ReplyDeleteThats what a pedophile would say!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete****AUTOMATED MESSAGE**** '0oMovieLover95o0's account has been removed/deleted.
ReplyDeleteAlright. That is the most fantastic piece of hair i have ever seen. Not being an amateur to hair, i can see you spend lots of time taking care of it giving it an elegant look of class yet still retaining a party girl atmosphere. I can see years of maturity will do wonders do your roots, possibly outclassing mainstream hair contestants today! I spent 70% of the day just staring at it because of how unique i have found it.
ReplyDeleteGive me a call beauty
Tyrone
Somebody call the blog police!
ReplyDeleteFlattered but also scared, very, very scared. I've contacted the blog police don't you worry.
ReplyDeleteDont worry sugar, ill be you're POleese ;)
ReplyDeleteTyrone
-NEE NOR NEE NOR- THE BLOG POLICE HAVE ARRIVED. ANY INAPPROPRIATE COMMENTS WILL BE FLAGGED AND REMOVED AS SPAM. ANY SERIAL OFFENDERS WILL HAVE THEIR BLOGGING PRIVILEGES REVOKED. HAVE A NICE DAY, BLOGGERS OF BLOGSPOT! ***THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE***
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant Review. Now I need to see the film
ReplyDelete