Friday, 15 February 2013

Being a girl on CoD


Call of Duty is one of the world’s most popular video games, with the last addition, ‘Black Ops 2’, earning a staggering $500 million in 24 hours.

It’s typically seen as a ‘boys game’ but that’s not to say girls don’t get in on the action too, I for one am a huge fan. Some friends question my motive, unable to get their heads around why I play it. The fact of the matter is I find the game exciting, addictive, and satisfying, as well as being a perfect way to kill a couple of hours.

With a growing number of girls entering the CoD world the game should be considered multi-sex but unfortunately that is not yet the case. So how exactly does a girl get treated on this ‘lads’ game? 

The answer, from experience, is 33% like a sex object, 33% like an outsider, 33% like an equal.

I’ve received a fair amount of crude messages from guys, that I can only presume have never had any contact with the opposite sex before. The worst was "How does that tight little anus feel baby, huh?", just no.  

I’ve had a ‘friend’ message me saying he doesn’t want to play with me because "He’ll question what his life has become if he ever plays CoD with a girl". Charming lad he was.

Finally there are some decent guys that treat me like an equal. This by far my most favourable form of treatment and the non-sexist treatment every girl should receive. Matter of fact I have actually made some good friends on the Xbox - as sad as that may sound to some. 



It's safe to say that how I’m treated depends on who the guy is, age playing a huge factor with 12 – 16 year olds (who shouldn’t even be playing the game!) tending to be the worst.

If you’re a girl considering playing the game, don't be put off by the above. Just do what I do and show the guys up instead.

If you’re a guy reading this: CoD off, girls can play games too.

7 comments:

  1. Tyrone Mcblaxican15 February 2013 at 12:07

    Dayum gurrlll! You play COD too??? Man i love popping some slugs in dem terow-wrists, they are some bayd people yo. Dont hate on being 33% of a sex object, i think yo ass is 100% THE sex object. Dont forget to ring me baby ;)

    Tyrone

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So if you're 33% a sex object, 33% an outsider and 33% an equal; what does the remaining 1% contain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the reoccurring threes were self-explanatory, apologies for any confusion :)

      Delete
    2. You still haven't answered my question. What is the remaining 1% Miss Watson?

      Delete
    3. Who are the other 4 Math men Mr Mathman?

      Delete